Saturday, October 18, 2008

Proud in Daqing


After a long day at work teaching some English and sharing a lot of laughs with many smiling faces I was a little tired. I have experienced several people this week who felt it was their duty to bestow upon me their negative feelings towards dealing with life in China. Chacon son goute! That's fine with me but not much can really get me down. Surprisingly enough the CBC National News threw me into the mood to write a quick note on the blog and remind people that Daqing really is the place to be, for me at least.


The Friday National broadcast ran three feature stories that would never appear on an American station I can tell you that. There were no murders, no fatal viral epidemics, not even much talk of dangerous products being consumed en mass. Instead the Canadian public was left with three stories: the first being a moving piece about an Aboriginal man's desire to give back to a Vancouver community by offering free karate lessons, the second was about a fledgling Inuit Daycare opening in Ottawa that promotes cultural education, and finally, the third story was about the new Sound of Music production in Toronto featuring a Canadian unknown soon to be starlet.


What the heck?! What kind of a NEWS broadcast is that! A truly Canadian broadcast, that's what. I am so proud that my country chose to air three 'feel-good' stories on a Friday night. That last thing that many hardworking Canadians do on a Friday night is catch the CBC National. Then they get caught up in the weekend chaos and don't see the news again until Monday. Brilliant. It's so nice, and I'm finding typically Canadian, to want our country to rest our weary minds on a Friday night with thoughts of other Canadians helping, sharing and believing in the strength and beauty of our Nation. Recession? We can handle it. New, or not so new, Priminister? Clearly the 40% of non-voting potential voters were pretty apathetic to the state of the country. They must be feeling pretty comfortable too. Winter? Christmas, hot chocolate and warm fires. No problem.


I find sometimes that when it is easy to get caught up in the negative one needs to leave himself some reminder of the positives. Before I left for China I put two pebbles in the pocket of the second hand tweed jacket that I planned to wear for traveling. The pebbles were from the beach in Biarritz, France where I spent a week surfing in the summer of my 31st year (one of my life long goarls). I had gathered a collection of smooth black and white pebbles as a keepsake to remind myself that I am achieving goals that I have set out for myself. As I was packing I took one black and one white pebble and placed them in the pocket of the coat so that when ever I wore the coat I would be reminded that my time here in China is yet another exciting chapter in my life. An achievement to be proud of. I wore the jacket today for the first time since August. As my friend was bestowing the China negatives I came across the two pebbles and politely made for the exit.


I'm glad that the National kept the positive momentum flowing. There is so much beauty in life and some much to share. I guess today is my little Thanks Giving for the week seeing as I missed it at home. Somehow noodles and water don't quite hit the spot like turkey and mashed potatoes; however, the giving of thanks feels the same.


All the best to everyone back home.


Thanks for reading.

No comments: