Saturday, January 24, 2009

More Haerbin Ice Pics
















The Ice World was quite the spectacle. All over town there were ice sculptures. Even the streets were lined with ice-lamp posts. It really outdoes anything I've seen in Canada.









I was surprised by the Ice-Bikes. Skates are not common as most Chinese cannot skate. The bikes are safer apparently.
What was really interesting (though I forgot to take a picture) was the Mongolian camel that they had available for rides. It just seemed strange to see a camel outside in the -30 degree air. I recently watched a documentary about the worlds deserts and as we all know camels are great at conserving water so this specific type of camel does well in the frozen waste lands of Inner Mongolia. They are extremely rare and endangered. My habitation here never ceases to surprise me.


We finished off our trip to the Ice World with a Haerbin Beer in the heated beer tent. You could also get hot boiled duck eggs to heat you up after wandering around in the freezing cold. A little different from hot-chocolate and Timbits.

No comments: